Green Card by marrying my boyfriend in prison ?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

Can i get green card by marrying my boyfriend who is now in prison ? we have been together for 5 years now . a year and half into our relationship he got sentenced for 10 years on drug charges . i have visited him several times . our love is very real and i know we are made for each other ! i will wait for him forever but i want to have a green card so that i can visit my parents whom i haven't seen for many many years . and i also want to get a job with my masters degree . it is hard for non citizens in this country . me and my boyfriend were wondering if we got married in prison ( which he is allowed to do ) would i be able to get a green card ? he is in a federal camp and mi on my opt . he can prove financial stability . also his family approves of everything and willing to help . what should i do ?

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

2

Answered . I can reiterate that I strongly agree with my colleague. You are going to have a host of unique issues and you will need a lawyers. With all due respect, I do not see how you will be able to do this on your own. Good luck.

2. Kyndra L. Mulder

Pro

2

Answered . Yes, assuming he is a USC. However, there are going to be unique issues involved and I suggest you work with an experienced immigration attorney.
    The first step is to discuss with prison officials the possibility of getting married in the prison.

3. Dean P Murray

Answered . One of the most glaring problems for him to become a permanent resident is the requirement that he have Good Moral Character. That will be a difficult sell inasmuch as he is incarcerated. Unequivocally, you need to consult and retain an immigration lawyer. Good luck to you.
    ---------------------------
    Dean P. Murray
    The Murray Law Firm
    560 Sylvan Avenue
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
    T: (201)875-2600
    F: (201)549-8700