Skip to main content

Green Card by marrying my boyfriend in prison ?

New York, NY |

Can i get green card by marrying my boyfriend who is now in prison ? we have been together for 5 years now . a year and half into our relationship he got sentenced for 10 years on drug charges . i have visited him several times . our love is very real and i know we are made for each other ! i will wait for him forever but i want to have a green card so that i can visit my parents whom i haven't seen for many many years . and i also want to get a job with my masters degree . it is hard for non citizens in this country . me and my boyfriend were wondering if we got married in prison ( which he is allowed to do ) would i be able to get a green card ? he is in a federal camp and mi on my opt . he can prove financial stability . also his family approves of everything and willing to help . what should i do ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Yes, assuming he is a USC. However, there are going to be unique issues involved and I suggest you work with an experienced immigration attorney.
The first step is to discuss with prison officials the possibility of getting married in the prison.


I can reiterate that I strongly agree with my colleague. You are going to have a host of unique issues and you will need a lawyers. With all due respect, I do not see how you will be able to do this on your own. Good luck.


One of the most glaring problems for him to become a permanent resident is the requirement that he have Good Moral Character. That will be a difficult sell inasmuch as he is incarcerated. Unequivocally, you need to consult and retain an immigration lawyer. Good luck to you.
Dean P. Murray
The Murray Law Firm
560 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
T: (201)875-2600
F: (201)549-8700

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer