Green Card base on marriage interview

Asked over 2 years ago - Brooklyn, NY

Hello! So today my spouse and I had an interview (I'm an immigrant), the officer was exceptionally nice, I actually enjoyed speaking with her, but in the end of the interview she said that she hasn't gone through all the papers and that's why she's not stamping my passport (she wrote smth there "section 245 interview, i-485 pending..") but she also said that I would receive my green card soon! What's that supposed to mean? Is there more work to be done like doing the background check etc. , and how soon do people usually receive their green cards in this case? Thank you!

Attorney answers (4)

  1. 13

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I agree with my colleague.

    Please click the link below for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Subscribe to our Free Immigration Newsletter
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: (English) (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. 3

    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Sounds like everything went well. The officer probably didn't have a chance to run the latest background check. I don't see why you should question her unless there's reason to, but then I wasn't there and haven't seen your file.

    The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. Please consult an... more
  3. 1

    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . you should be fine. Just wait for your card in the mail

  4. Answered . At first brush it sounds like you passed the interview and the officer intended to adjust you providing that all your paperwork was in order. I would give it 45 to 60 days.

    Patrick Caston Crowley, Esq. (718-769-6352) Law Offices of Marina Shepelsky, P.C. 2306 Coney Island Avenue, 2nd... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,351 answers this week

3,598 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,351 answers this week

3,598 attorneys answering