Green card and DUI

Asked almost 3 years ago - Westmont, IL

I got a DUI in Illinois 4 years ago and I received supervison for it. Now I want to apply for a green card through marriage. Can the DUI prevent me from passing the immigration interview and getting the green card?

1. Khaja M. Din

Pro

6

Answered . Though you received supervision for the DUI it will be an issue on your LPR (Green Card) petition that needs to be explained in a way that does not stall your application. In Illinois, unlike other states, even the first DUI is a criminal matter. There are ways of getting past it. Please see an immigration attorney who can assist you with this matter. There are immigration attorneys who will offer free consultations in Chicago.

Khaja M. Din, Esq.

Free Consultation For Your Immigration & Deportation Issues In Chicago & Wisconsin

Khaja Din is an immigration attorney specializing in deportation defense and the immigration consequences of criminal conduct. He has offices in Chicago, IL and Madison, WI.

Din | Memmen, Inc.
    www.dinmemmen.com

Chicago Office
    4518 North Kedzie Avenue
    Chicago, IL 60625
    P.312.878.2357
    F.312.794.1813

Madison Office - By Appointment Only
    Main Street Justice
    354 West Main Street
    Madison, WI 53703
    P.608.238.1050

2. Mark Davidson

Pro

3

Answered . In Illinois, a (one) simple DUI is not normally a bar to grant of permanent resident status. However, you must tell the truth about such arrest and you ought to see an attorney to confirm that it is only a simple DUI. Additionally, marriage cases before USCIS are not that simple. At least, you should seek a consultation with an attorney to understand the broad parameters of the process.

3. C. C. Abbott

3

Answered . My colleages are correct. Immigration law treats criminal adjudication differently than does criminal law. You should collect all information concerning the DUI and consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can provide you with a legal opinion of your options based on the totality of your immigration history.