Green card and divorce

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

My wife was my sponsor for me to come over the USA. I got permanent green card 2 months ago, but she wants get divorce , after divorce final will she be my sponsor? until become citizenship?
Thanks

1. Stephen D. Berman

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . Yes, she is your financial sponsor until you get your citizenship or 40 quarters of employment.

2. Tripti Sharad Sharma

3

1

Answered . She is likely to continue to be your sponsor. Before you apply for naturalization, you may have to file removal of condition application if you were granted a conditional green card. This is either filed jointly if you continue to be married or seek a waiver if you divorce. For more detailed information, you should consult with an immigration attorney.

3. Veronica Tunitsky

3

1

Answered . Her obligation lasts until you naturalize or work for 40 years, but remember that her obligation is to protect the government from you seeking means-tested benefits.

4. Dean P Murray

2

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. If you have additoinal questions, you can consult an immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues. If you appreciate the time spent preparing this answer, kindly consider marking it BEST ANSWER or HELPFUL. Good luck to you.

Dean P. Murray
    The Murray Law Firm
    560 Sylvan Avenue
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
    T: (201)875-2600
    F: (201)549-8700

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now