Green card

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

I have submitted 485 and am waiting for the card. However, my wife and I divorced now. The submission of 485 was before our divorce. We have married for 3+ years and have a son. Will my application be affected? I applied green card through her, who is a permanent resident.

1. Daniel Warren Thomann

5

Answered . Your application may be affected, and you should discuss the specifics directly with an attorney. The timing of various events (such as the date of your interview, date of filing for divorce, receipt of any approval notice, finality of divorce, etc.) are important in your case, and it is not clear from your question when those took place (if at all). Good luck!

2. Kristina A. Gasson

5

Answered . Yes, your application will be denied because you are no longer a qualifying relative for the purpose of receiving a green card. I would consult with an immigration attorney to discuss your options.

3. Alice Antonovsky

5

Answered . Did you already have an interview? If you did not, your application will definitely be affected. However, there could be options available to you enabling you to adjust status. You really need to retain an immigration attorney to review your case and advise you accordingly. Good Luck.

4. Dean P Murray

4

Answered . Your application will be denied if you are no longer married. Given the importance of your situation, you should contact a lawyer as soon as possible, whether myself or one of my colleagues. If you appreciate the time spent preparing this answer, kindly consider marking it BEST ANSWER or HELPFUL. Also, please be sure to read my disclaimer below. Good luck to you.

Dean P. Murray
    The Murray Law Firm
    560 Sylvan Avenue
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
    T: (201)875-2600
    F: (201)549-8700

5. Nicklaus James Misiti

4

Answered . Your application will be denied, and assuming you do not have a legal status you will be placed in removal proceedings. Now would be the time to speak with an immigration attorney regarding what if any options you have.

6. Chad Michael Brandt

Pro

4

Answered . I agree with my colleagues here. You need to consult an experienced immigration attorney. At Brandt immigration we have over 10 years experience successfully representing immigrants facing similar issues.

Chad M. Brandt
    Brandt Immigration
    407-545-2534
    www.brandtimmigration.com
    Info@brandtimmigration.com

7. F. J. Capriotti III

3

Answered . My colleagues are correct ... and your facts are confusing.

Did you already have your I-130 interview?
    Did you file the I-130/I-485 concurrently?

You should meet with an immigration attorney ... this could be a very big problem.