Skip to main content

Green card: Question on Birth Certificate for I-485

Salt Lake City, UT |

Hi, I have my son's birth certificate from India. It has his name correctly, however his last name (Fathers first name) has been mentioned as an initial. In India, we have a practice to use the first char of father's name as an initial to the child.

ex: (one sample)
First/Middle name: John Britto
Last name: Joseph

Birth certificate has: J. John Britto

Will this be a problem while filing I-485? Should I do a Affidavit for the name in Birth certificate. If yes, can my wife and myself do a Affidavit and get it notarized. Please let me know your thoughts

Attorney Answers 2


When we have issues like this, we always attach a cover page to explain why it is different than what USCIS normally sees. We have done this with "Living records" from India and there was no problem.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Hi, only generalized Immigration advice can be given on this forum for individual advice on your case I would suggest consulting with an Immigration Attorney. Generally I would advise that you always put the truth down on immigration forms and if the truth should require any explanation then I would include an addendum.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics