Green Card, Immigration, Police Certificate

Asked about 1 year ago - San Jose, CA

In the early 2000s, a I-130 petition was approved and forwarded to NVC, with the beneficiary living abroad. All documents, including a police certificate, were submitted to the NVC. Up to that point, the beneficiary had a clean background. But it took until 2013 for the priority date to become current. But before the priority date became current, the beneficiary was convicted of a drug offense in his country of residence.
In the NVC package sent to the beneficiary for an interview requested a up-to-date police certificate from the country of residence. As the new police certificate would likely show that drug conviction, should the beneficiary simply not submit a new police certificate and just go to the interview hoping that he will get lucky?

Additional information

Suppose, the beneficiary became honest and submitted an up-to-date police certificate before the consular interview. Would the interviewing consular official be so cruel as to deny the green card at the last second, over a drug offense?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Ashraf Sami Salem

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . But lying to the U.S. government can get you in bigger trouble than the problem you are lying about. For one thing, you’ve never seen anyone angrier than a USCIS or State Department official who discovers that you’ve lied to them. For another, making misrepresentations on an application for immigration benefits is a ground of inadmissibility under U.S. immigration law. So if the lie is discovered, you've got double trouble -- not only the original problem about which you thought it necessary to lie, but a new bar to your being admitted to the U.S. in any capacity.

    If you feel you just can’t complete an immigration form, or attend an interview, without hiding a certain piece of information -- or you really don’t know how to answer or explain a key question -- see a lawyer. The lawyer can analyze whether you really have a significant problem, and may be able to show you how to be truthful in a way that doesn’t risk having your application denied. The lawyer will also know how to make use of any exceptions that may apply in your situation, or whether there is a waiver (legal forgiveness) that you can apply for.

  2. Joshua L. Goldstein

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Fraudulently concealing criminal history and not providing required documents--good luck with that.

    Here's a crazy idea: why not hire an immigration lawyer? Waivers are available for some criminal convictions.


    Joshua Goldstein, Esq

    Immigration & Nationality Lawyers

    Law Offices of Joshua L Goldstein, PC
    6 Beacon Street, # 220
    Boston, Massachusetts 02108
    Tel: 617.722.0005
    Fax: 617.722.0015

  3. C. C. Abbott

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The failure to be completely honest in the application and interview process will result in a denial of immigration benefits now or at a later date when the fraud is determined. Every form has a signature line with an attestation that clearly states the implications of false statements.

    Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to... more
  4. Chong Hae Ye


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I'm afraid there should be full disclosure. Failure to disclose will be a bad idea.

    The information on this website is not intended to be legal advice.
  5. Otis Carl Landerholm


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Depending on what the drug conviction is, it likely makes him inadmissible under immigration laws and therefore he will not be eligible to enter the US whatsoever. You need to hire an immigration lawyer before the client goes to the interview to review the complete record and see what arguments can be made.
    Good luck,
    Otis C. Landerholm, Esq.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,652 answers this week

2,996 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,652 answers this week

2,996 attorneys answering