Green Card, Consular Processing, Petty Theft

Asked about 1 year ago - San Jose, CA

Suppose these are true for a green card process:
2002: I-130 approved and forwarded to NVC, foreign beneficiary had clean background.
2012: Beneficiary convicted of petty theft in country of residence, got 3-yr probation.
Sept-2013: Consular interview scheduled.

Could it be an issue that the probation is not finished yet?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If this conviction falls under the one petty offense rule, you should fine.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It will be an issue.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  3. Rodrigo Ivan Canido

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes this will be an issue as my colleague stated. An immigration attorney can assist you with this type of problem.


    LORIC, Immigration Solutions

    Rodrigo Ivan Canido
    Managing Attorney

    3333 Bowers Ave, Suite 130
    Santa Clara, CA 95054
    Tel: 650-279-5933

    The response given is general in nature and does not create an attorney / client relationship. The answer given... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Carl Michael Shusterman

How to Renew your Green Card

Renewing your Green Card, or Permanent Resident Card, is important. If you have an expired Green Card you may be denied re-entry into the United States. You could also be charged with a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,143 answers this week

2,645 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,143 answers this week

2,645 attorneys answering