Green card.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I just got approved for my Green card after marriage to a U.S.C girl.

So, is it mandatory for me to file income tax return every year,?

i'm a student right now going to college and I'm not working and no income so do i need to file it jointly with my spouse or by myself even though i am not working?

1. Kristina A. Gasson

9

Best Answer

Answered . You should file your taxes jointly with your spouse even if you have no income. All this means is that your spouse would add your name and personal information to the tax form. This is advisable not only to get a better refund, but also if you intend to apply for citizenship in the future. Also, if you need to remove the conditions on your green card, you will have the tax forms as evidence that you share a life together.

2. Irene Vaisman

Pro

9

Answered . you should be filing "married filing jointly"

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.
  3. Steven Douglas Knittle

7

Answered . If you have no income you are not required to file but if your wife works filing jointly will almost always result in a higher tax refund.

4. Heather Roberts Majam

7

Answered . I do agree with my colleagues answers, but I believe the best person to answer this question would be a licensed CPA or tax lawyer.

5. Myron Russell Morales

Pro

7

Answered . You probably received a conditional green card and will need to lift the conditions in two years. Do yourself a favor and file as married filing jointly so you have good evidence that the conditions should be lifted in two years.

6. Inara Khashmati

Pro

7

Answered . You should file with your spouse.