Green card!

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I got my SSN while in school doing on campus job.However, i married a U.S.C and i have adjusted status now.The SSN card has written" EMPLOYMENT WITH DHS PERMISSION ONLY".

So, DO I NOW need to go SSN office with my Green card and get that condition removed from my SSN?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Deborah Lynne Karapetian


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes you do but it is not hard - you just show them your green card. Your old number will be updated and you will be good to go! Good Luck!

  2. Theodore Su-Tsoh Huang

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . By removing that notation from your Soc. Sec. card, it'll facilitate the I-9 employment eligibility form completion process whenever you are starting a new job.

    Theodore Huang, Esq. 626.244.7357. This is not legal advice. No attorney/client relationship is established.... more
  3. Carlos E Sandoval

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . That's correct. Go to the Social Security Office with a copy of your old social security, and your green card, and they will give you a new social security card without that disclaimer.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now