Grandparent visitations rights

Can my DIL refuse visits w grandkids even if it is in the divorce agreement. Divorce not final yet, but my son wants me to have visitation rights while away. He's active Military. I have a well established relationship w the kids ages 7 & 9. I will bring proof of our relationship to the hearing, such as pictures & e-mails between us where my grandson tells me how much he misses me & that things are not the same w/o me there. My DIL has cut tries between the kids & me, not allowing communication at all. I had created a e-mail acct for my grandson to communicate, Ive been sending him messages, telling him I don't call cause I lost their #. He hasn't opened them, may have forgotten the password, but my messages r there to show him 1 day, just in case she tells them I dont love them anymore

Stony Point, NY -

Find Out More

Howard M Lewis

Howard M Lewis

Family Law Attorney - Framingham, MA

In NY Grandparents can petition for visition with their grandchildren if the parents are divorced. Is your son represented by counsel? If so, I suggest you contact them. If not, I urge you to contact a local attorney familiar with custody matters to discuss your options. I hope this helps and wish you the best.

Eric Edward Rothstein

Eric Edward Rothstein

Criminal Defense Attorney - New York, NY

Courts generally will do what is in the best interests in the chidlren. Grandparents do have rights in NY. Contact your son's lawyer or hire your own.

David Ivan Bliven

David Ivan Bliven

Child Custody Lawyer - White Plains, NY

Depending on the stage the divorce case is in, you can move to intervene in the divorce case to pursue your rights to visitation. Otherwise, you should follow-up by filing a petition in Family Court. I also encourage you to schedule a consultation with a Child Custody/Visitation lawyer in your area.