Grand Jury Panel for a criminal case

Asked almost 2 years ago - New York, NY

My friend was told by the judge to come back today for a grand jury and her friends told her if her lawyer was planning to speak to the DA she didnt have to attend today and forget what the judge said because the lawyer will handle it later. Is this correct for a criminal case she was arrested for? And what is the process of having to go to the grand jury panel are they trying to FRY her? thanks

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . A defendant arrested on a felony has the right to testify before the grand jury considering her case. Whether she should do so requires an in-depth conversation with her lawyer about the facts of the case and her criminal record (if any). As for when to go back, she needs to be in court on the adjourn date set by the Judge.

2. Howard A. Schwartz

4

1

Answered . The first question is simple. Your friend should listen to the judge or her lawyer regarding
    court appearances. As to the grand jury procedure the defendant should have substantial conversations with her attorney in order to decide the best way to move forward.

3. Jay K Goldberg

3

1

Answered . A defendant is not required to testify before the grand jury. Whether to do so or not is up to the defendant with advice from the lawyer. If the judge told her to come to court, she should come to court. If the case is on the calendar, she must appear.

4. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

3

1

Answered . Your friend should take a meeting with the attorney. There are many variables.
    It can be true and accurate.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

5. Francis John Cowhig

4

1

Answered . Your friend should be listening to the judge and her attorney, not her friends. If the judge said to be in court, she should be in court, unless her attorney tells her otherwise.

6. Nicole Wignall DeBorde

Pro

3

1

Answered . Your friend should listen to the judge. If she fails to show up as directed by the court, she could have her bond revoked. All felony cases must go to the grand jury to proceed.