Grand Jury duty - Can I be excused - Queens County.

Flushing, NY |

If I go for jury duty appearance, and if I am selected for Grand Jury in Queens county from Aug 10- Aug 30 approx, yet have a prior booked family vacation (non-refundable) from Aug 17-Aug 22 -- Can I get out of the jury duty or be excused from serving on Grand Jury?

No. You appear for selection and don't use a vacation as a reason to avoid jury selection.

Which came first the summons or the trip? They will try to accomodate you usually. If this is the person who failed to appear earlier you could have a harder time.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

I would bring the reservations to show the judge, but don't count on missing your civic duty to the courts.

Recommended articles about Employment