Government shutdown... Will it affect USCIS applications?

Arcadia, CA |

Good day/eve! Now that there is a government shutdown, will it affect USCIS applications? I am on the scheduling que for oath ceremony for N-600. And it has been 90 days since it has been placed in scheduling que and haven't received any mail from USCIS. Do you think this will have an effect on me being able to get my certificate of citizenship ASAP? Thank you. God bless.

A good question. You mean an N-400; not 600, for there is no "oath ceremony" for an N-600. USCIS professes to be open and running normally since it is funded by individuals like yourself who pay them the filing fees. The oath ceremonies being officiated by a federal judge, however, it remains to be seen if those oath ceremonies will be continue as scheduled. I'd like to think that yes, that the "partial" shutdown will be over with in a matter of days.. We'll see. Stay tuned, cruise the USCIS website daily for more up to date info. www.uscis.gov

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

There are no oath ceremonies for N-600s.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

I agree with my colleagues. You must be referencing the N-400. As for the oath ceremony, good question. As my colleague stated, they are officiated by federal judges and as such they may very we'll be impacted by the shutdown. Other support services related to USCIS have been affected.

The answer provided is general in nature and should not be construed as legal advice as not all facts are know by the attorney, nor does the answering of this question create an attorney client relationship.

Official information - it should not because USCIS is funded by fees not appropriations.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.