Government contractor with less than 50 employees but more than 8. Are they still under the FMLA?

Asked over 1 year ago - Washington, DC

Hi, I'm working on government contract located in Washington, DC. The company that has been awarded the contract is located in Maryland. I have been working for the client for the last 2 1/2 years on site in Washington, DC. I'm pregnant and I will be going out on maternity leave within the month. The company I'm working for has notified me that they do not fall under any federal law. Are they under the FMLA act or any other law that will protect my position? Thanks for the advice!!!

1. Arinderjit Dhali

Pro

Answered . Even if the Federal FMLA does not apply, the DC FMLA will cover you, if it has 20 or more employees working in the District. So under the DC FMLA, your employer has to provide you w/16 weeks (every 24 months) of unpaid medical leave. You may also be covered under the Pregnancy Discrimination Act (PDA) - which simply means they cannot terminate you b/c you are pregnant. The same applies under the DC FMLA, if your employer harasses you, or terminates you b/c you requested leave under the DC FMLA.

See the link below on additional information on the DC FMLA and the PDA

2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

1

Answered . scroll down about 1/2 a page: see http://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/fmla-faqs.htm#1