Skip to main content

Government benefits for permanent residents

Farmingville, NY |

I am a permanent resident was very surprised Marketplace sent me a benefit card for Medicaid as immediate respond to my application not even asking any questions about my assets. I do not have any income and use my savings for living. I think my savings will help for another year of my living if
nothing happens .My car is also too old.
My question is --what should I do when all my savings will be gone. They asked me if I want to apply for food stamps . So now I would like to know what amount of assets allowed to be eligible for the benefits and it is still confusing to me. If I have a Medicaid but my car gets broken ,then
how can I go to doctors office, pharmacy and so on. Nobody will fix my car for free or give me another car

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    You are right. Nobody would fix your car. And you need to be at the poverty level to seek federal or state benefits if eligible. There is a Federal Poverty Guidelines chart. You can find it here: .

    Please consult it to determine your benefits eligibility. But you can use it as a rule of thumb only for specific guidelines please consult social services department in your area. Good luck.

    Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  2. Just because you applied for Obama care health insurance and since you have reported no income became qualified for medicaid that does not mean you can hide your assets or attempt to become dependent on the government benefit as the person who sponsored you will be responsible to reimburse the government for benefits received by you. It is up to you to work and pay your expenses in this country.

  3. You need to look closely at your eligibility with those who administer the programs. You may not be eligible for benefits if you have been in the US for less than five years. .

    This is for general information only. Nothing in this information should be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship nor shall any of this information be construed as providing legal advice. Laws change over time and differ from state to state. These answers are based on California Law.Applicability of the legal principles discussed may differ substantially in individual situations. You should not act upon the information presented herein without consulting an attorney about your particular situation. No attorney-client relationship is established.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics