Skip to main content

Got rear ended and the other drivers' insurance company said they won't pay for any damages. Do I have any moves here?

Traverse City, MI |

I was in stop and go traffic in Michigan. As I was stopped, the other driver rear ended me and did some moderate to severe damage. Got a police report and the other drivers' info. Now his insurance provider is saying that his coverage or his policy will not cover/pay for any of the repairs. I do have full coverage through All State, but there's a $750 deductible.

Is there anything I can do with this? I know Michigan is a no fault state and maybe someone could shed some light on that for me too. What is the point if someone can ruin your property with their own negligence and just go on about their day while you're stuck paying rental car fees waiting to get your car fixed?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Yes, there is recourse. In fact, you have 3 potential cases under Michigan law. Happy to answer any questions you have, but I would first click on and look under the 3 cases icon on the right to learn more about your mini tort - which was raised on October 1st to $1,000, your no fault rights, and a potential claim for injuries.

  2. You absolutely have a case. In Michigan if you get into a motor vehicle incident you have two potential cases. The first is known as a No-fault case for wage loss, medical bills and household services and attendant care. The second is a third party case for pain and suffering. We do these kinds of cases and will give you a free consultation by telephone. Feel free to call us at 313-389-2234.

    You should consult an attorney in your State at once.

  3. I agree with my colleagues. Hire an attorney and make sure your rights are protected!

    Good luck.

    In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

  4. Sue him in Small Claims Court for the property damage for the maximum allowed.

    Always consult an attorney IMMEDIATELY as there are time limitations on filing a lawsuit.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics