Got pulled over was arrested for having a gun in the car, and i'm also a felon. What's the least amount of time I can get

90022 |

Im a felon was doing nothing wrong other than looking suspicious got pulled, over and had a gun in the car. Once I get my public defender he seems to be looking over my case and tells me where taking it trial. The day before the trial my Public Defender tell me he just looked over my case n tells me to take a plea of 2years because if i take it to trial ill do the 6years. I would like to know if i can get a lawyer. I know i have to do time but maybe get a less than 2 years. Do programs or something else. I wasn't threatening anyone with it.

It depends on your record - strikes, prison priors, etc.

Felon in possession is 16 months, 2, 3 years. I assume the comment about 6 means you have a strike (?) or something else going on that would get you to the 6.

Without knowing the exact charges and exact allegations, I can't calculate your minikin or maximum. Don't take internet advice about what to do with your case. Either work with your PD and discuss it in detail or hire an attorney that can spend more time exploring your options.

Please pardon any typos - posted via mobile device.

The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case.

2. I've been handling cases like yours for over 25 years, but I don't know if the PD is right. You would only get maxed out if you have a long record. If you have a strike, you still don't have to be maxed out. I would have to know your record and some other facts about the case before I could give you a more difinative answer. I really so wish you well.......David

3. There is more to this scenario than meets the eye because 6 years is unlikely at trial. So setup a meeting with your attorney to discuss further. I wish you the best.

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.

4. Felon in possession of a firearm carry a 16 mths - 2 - 3 years prison sentence. I don't know about your criminal past in order to calculate your sentencing exposure. If you have a strike, then we are looking at 32 mtgs - 4 - 6 years. You need to consult with an experienced criminal defense lawyer and bring a complete copy of your discovery.