Got married in mexico came the day after to Illinois, I want to get a divorce what can I do

Asked 3 months ago - Darien, IL

Illinois citizen

Additional information

Got married January 2014,

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Judy A. Goldstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If your marriage was legal in Mexico, you can get divorced in Illinois, provided you meet the residency requirement and have grounds to file the petition for dissolution of marriage. The requirement is that on the day you finalize your divorce you will have lived in the State of Illinois continuously for at least 90 days. Please seek the services of an attorney to help you.

    Although AVVO describes this site as providing free legal advice, it is really a simple Q&A forum. The volunteer... more
  2. Joseph Pierce O'Brien

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Talk to an Illinois family lawyer. If you have lived in IL for a certain period of time you can file for divorce here.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,535 answers this week

3,057 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,535 answers this week

3,057 attorneys answering