Got married in mexico came the day after to Illinois, I want to get a divorce what can I do

Darien, IL |

Illinois citizen

Got married January 2014,

1. If your marriage was legal in Mexico, you can get divorced in Illinois, provided you meet the residency requirement and have grounds to file the petition for dissolution of marriage. The requirement is that on the day you finalize your divorce you will have lived in the State of Illinois continuously for at least 90 days. Please seek the services of an attorney to help you.

Although AVVO describes this site as providing free legal advice, it is really a simple Q&A forum. The volunteer attorneys provide general answers. No specific legal advice is given here and no attorney-client relationship is established. For precise direction and legal advice, please consult in person with an attorney in your area. Be sure to bring all relevant paperwork with you.

2. Talk to an Illinois family lawyer. If you have lived in IL for a certain period of time you can file for divorce here.