Got Laid off and was given a 2 year non disclosure agreement when I only worked for about 1.5 years. Is this legal in NC?

Raleigh, NC |

Got laid off and they want me to seek a lawyer to ask if I should sign a non disclosure agreement for 2 years. Severance is only 2 months.
Is two years too long for them to aks me to sign the non compete?

You should get an attorney to review the agreement for you. Courts in North Carolina will enforce non-competes and non-disclosure agreements that are two years in length.

Kirk J. Angel is an experienced North Carolina licensed attorney who focuses his practice on employment law. Mr. Angel, who has focused on employment law for more than 15 years, represents clients throughout North Carolina and more information about him is available at This response is for general informational purposes and does not constitute legal advice. Additionally, this response does not create an attorney client relationship. If you need legal advice, please contact a lawyer in your state who practices in the appropriate area.

You need to speak with a lawyer in person and have that attorney review the agreement before giving you advice. Whether or not the agreement is legal or reasonable depends on a number of factors that cannot be adequately considered on a site like Avvo. However, you can use Avvo to search for a local employment attorney or you can contact the National Employment Lawyers Association for a referral.

This answer is provided for guidance only. DO NOT rely on it as legal advice. We DO NOT have an attorney-client relationship. You should contact an attorney in your area for a one-on-one consultation before pursuing any action or making any decisions.

Recommended articles about Employment