Got Laid off and was given a 2 year non disclosure agreement when I only worked for about 1.5 years. Is this legal in NC?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Raleigh, NC

Got laid off and they want me to seek a lawyer to ask if I should sign a non disclosure agreement for 2 years. Severance is only 2 months.
Is two years too long for them to aks me to sign the non compete?

1. Kirk J. Angel

Pro

2

Answered . You should get an attorney to review the agreement for you. Courts in North Carolina will enforce non-competes and non-disclosure agreements that are two years in length.

2. Meghan Hayes Slack

1

Answered . You need to speak with a lawyer in person and have that attorney review the agreement before giving you advice. Whether or not the agreement is legal or reasonable depends on a number of factors that cannot be adequately considered on a site like Avvo. However, you can use Avvo to search for a local employment attorney or you can contact the National Employment Lawyers Association for a referral.