Got into an accident, I was blamed but it's not my fault. Got a ticket.. What do I do next?

Asked 10 months ago - Troy, MI

Hello a lot of stop lights in Troy,MI are very confusing. They don't appear to have a set pattern. It could be a Green for both sides going straight, and it could be flashing yellow for the left turn lanes. Or, it could be on 1 side, green left turn lane, green for both straight lanes, and on the other red for both.
Confusing, right? Theres a bunch of other patterns. Troy police officers even admitted to me that they themselves get confused by the traffic signals.
So anyways I got in an accident which was NOT my fault. I have a witness to confirm this who is willing to testify on my behalf. The officers believed the other guy, over me (prob because I'm 18). I got a ticket for fail to yield. Do I call court and request a informal hearing? What to expect? Lawyer or no?

1. Ezra N. Goldman

7

Answered . I agree with the previous answer that you need a lawyer but I disagree with the notion that if you did have insurance, that means you were at fault. If you didn't have insurance, it means no one will protect you if you get sued but if you were not negligent, you were not negligent. Your lawyer should request a formal hearing.

2. Daniel J. Melican

7

Answered . You can have a hearing or ask it be dismissed. Maybe they will let you have a no points impeding traffic ticket.

Always consult an attorney IMMEDIATELY as there are time limitations on filing a lawsuit.
  3. Edward Chang Yim

Pro

7

Answered . Generally, you have the right to force the City or State to prove your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. You also have the right to call witnesses to testify on your behalf. I would hire an attorney to handle your defense for you.

Pro

7

Answered . Get a lawyer to fight it

5. Samuel Cohen

6

Answered . Take a look at the ticket front and back. They usually tell you how to proceed. It's not just a matter of paying a fine, it impacts your driving record if you are in a points state. Also important is it can have a BIG impact on your insurance rates and ability to get insurance. I would get a lawyer to contest it.

6. Michael David Myers

Pro

6

Answered . In most states tickets are not admissible in personal injury actions. If you have insurance tender the claim to your carrier.

7. Robert E. Harris Jr.

4

Answered . First question, were you insured at the time? Was the other driver insured at the time? If you were not insured in Michigan, then the accident was your fault.
    Next, were there injuries to you or the other driver or any passengers? If you want to protect your record and possibly your future earnings -- hire an attorney. Follow his or her advice. You only have about 10 days to call the court and request a "FORMAL" hearing.

8. Gerald R Stahl

Pro

3

Answered . You should look at the ticket and read the back it will tell you what you have to do to fight the case. Do it right away. You usually start with an informal hearing hearing. If you lose that informal hearing, then you have aright it appeal to district court. If you have to appeal to district court, you should get a lawyer a that point. Most traffic infractions are civil not criminal, so the standard of proof against you is not beyond a reasonable doubt, it is a preponderance of the evidence. Good Luck!

9. Thomas William James

2

Answered . Do yourself a favor. Call an attorney and meet with them face to face. Don't take substantive advice from sites like this one.
    Good luck,
    Tom James
    Trial Attorney at Michigan Auto Law