Got Green card through my job.The company gave me 1099 instead of W2.I payed my taxes. Is this okay for citizenship?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

I worked for this company before and after my green card and they always gave me a 1099, never a W2. Is that okay for citizenship, when they are going to revise the way I got my green card?This happened 4 years ago.

1. Tsirina Goroshit

4

Answered . 10.99 is a contractor, get immigration attorney to look at details of your case.

2. Tripti Sharad Sharma

Pro

4

Answered . After you get your green card based on an employment petition, the company is to hire you as an employee and pay the proffered wages.

3. Arsen V. Baziyants

4

Answered . This issue is extremely unlikely to come up at your naturalization interview, in my opinion. On Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, you are asked if you have ever failed to file taxes - yes or no.

4. J Charles Ferrari

2

Answered . Not if the green card was based on employment with that company. A 1099 means you were not an employee.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.