Got Green card through my job.The company gave me 1099 instead of W2.I payed my taxes. Is this okay for citizenship?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

I worked for this company before and after my green card and they always gave me a 1099, never a W2. Is that okay for citizenship, when they are going to revise the way I got my green card?This happened 4 years ago.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Tsirina Goroshit

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . 10.99 is a contractor, get immigration attorney to look at details of your case.

    The above is intended as general information only and cannot be relied upon as legal advice. Call (212)880-1538... more
  2. Tripti Sharad Sharma


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . After you get your green card based on an employment petition, the company is to hire you as an employee and pay the proffered wages.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known.... more
  3. Arsen V. Baziyants

    Contributor Level 6


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This issue is extremely unlikely to come up at your naturalization interview, in my opinion. On Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, you are asked if you have ever failed to file taxes - yes or no.

  4. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Not if the green card was based on employment with that company. A 1099 means you were not an employee.

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,718 answers this week

3,074 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,718 answers this week

3,074 attorneys answering