Got fired for unknown or unjust reasons. Can I do something about it?

New York, NY |

I worked at a small business for 16 years. While I was working this other company in a different industry asked me to work for them instead. They told me that they wanted me to work for them for years. The new job was paying me the same as my old job but was supposed to have lots of room for growth. So I left my old job for this new one.
Things turned sour very quickly after entering the new job. The wife of the gentleman that recruited me didn't like me. After 2 months on the job they fired me because they said I wasnt what they were thinking.
As far as I know I was doing a good job. They never gave me a good reason for firing me. I find out later that they have a hard time keeping any employees cause everyone that works for them don't fit into the company.

1. Unless you had a contract, you were an at-will employee and therefore could be fired for any reason or no reason so long as it was not an unconstitutional reason such as based on race, gender, religion, etc.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

2. Unfortunately, prior to your jumping ship, you took no steps to protect yourself, and in the absence of contract or discrimination, etc., your termination only leaves you with unemployment benefits. However, you might wish to consult with a labor/employment attorney who may have additional information or insights.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

3. I am sorry, based on what you have provided here I do not hear a particularly viable claim.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction. Additionally, we also encourage you to reach out to us via Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/WhiteRoseMarks) or Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/WhiteRoseMarks) if you have follow up questions as we do not monitor questions after providing an initial answer.

Business topics