Got dui in wyoming now california has suspended lic.

Lakeside, CA |

got dui in wyoming california has suspended lic and wants me to atted classes for 18 months work out of state dui case was cleared in wyoming any way out of this

1. Punctuation would make it easier to understand your question. I gather that you were convicted of a DUI in Wyoming, but you have a California drivers license. It sounds like you work out of state and are unable to complete the California 18 month DUI class.

First of all, it sounds like you had another DUI conviction in California within the past ten years; otherwise, the 18 month class wouldn't come into play.

California and Wyoming are both members of the interstate compact on drivers licenses. If you got a second DUI in California within ten years, DMV would suspend your license; since Wyoming is part of the compact, it counts just like a California conviction.

If the Wyoming DUI law doesn't contain all of the elements of a California conviction, you might be able to get the suspension set aside. For example, to be convicted of a DUI in California, the prosecution has to prove you moved the vehicle in some way, but an Arizona DUI isn't equivalent because they can convict you of DUI for being drunk in your car with the keys in your pocket, on the theory that you COULD drive the car.

If the WY law is different, you would have to file a writ petition in the local Superior Court to get a judge's order for DMV to lift the suspension.

If you establish residency in another state, you can also ask CA DMV to cancel your California drivers license so you can get a license in another state without completing the program.

2. Mr. Marshall is correct. You can also call the DMV out of state holds line at (916) 657-7780 for more information. I believe you may be entitled to a hearing from the DMV on the action they are taking on your license - to prove the points made above.

3. I agree with the advice given by both Mr. Marshall and Ms. Morell. When you contact the DMV Mandatory Action Division, and you are now a resident of another state (not a California resident at this time), you may be able to get California to lift it's requirements of the 18 month class so you can apply for a license in your current state of residence.

4. I agree with the advice given by both Mr. Marshall and Ms. Morell. When you contact the DMV Mandatory Action Division, and you are now a resident of another state (not a California resident at this time), you may be able to get California to lift it's requirements of the 18 month class so you can apply for a license in your current state of residence.

DUI topics