Got caught stealing five dollar item at best buy

Yuma, AZ |
Filed under: Criminal defense

I got caught stealing a five dollar item from best buy. Police came I was not arrested but I was given a court date for next month. I am wondering what is my next step of action I just want to get this taken as quickly as possible. I live in California and can't afford to keep driving to Yuma to go to court.

What I am about to say will depend largely on what court this matter is submitted to. The good new is that it is only charged as a misdemeanor and in a lot of the misdemeanor courts here in AZ (city courts and Justice courts) they do allow telephonic court hearings. The bad news is that you may have to hire an attorney to accomplish this, however the attorney can get your presence waived for the court dates and possibly assist in getting you into the diversion program, which is deferred prosecution.

How would I see if it's possible to do a telephonic court hearing?

Charlie Naegle

Charlie Naegle

Your paperwork should identify the name of the court. This will be on the bottom of the citation. If you did not get a citation then you will need to wait for the court to send you a summons in the mail when the case is charged. Call that court and let them know you live out of state and see what they can do for you.

Hire defense counsel, you might even qualify for a diversion program.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq.,