Got caught "stealing" from Century21, no police. LP made me sign a form and banned me for 7 Yrs. Do I need to pay civil demand?

Asked over 1 year ago - Morristown, NJ

Hello, I was trying on clothes at a Century21 store and the tags got ripped off the dresses I tried on. I informed the fitting room attendant and gave her the tag that fell on the ground. I tried to purchase one of the dresses and an LP took me aside. They said I switched the tags on the dresses and that they had proof with the cameras. They said if I didn't confess that they would call the cops. I panicked and said I ripped them off and switched them. They said the dress i wanted to buy had a $20 cheaper tag on it. Anyway I just got a letter n phone call from their attorney's office saying I needed to pay a $150 civil demand, they said it was to cover cost of item (which they recovered bc they didn't let me buy it) n the security equip n LP salary. Should I pay? If I dnt will they sue?

1. Mark M Cheser

2

Answered . Read the pros and cons in the AVVO archives. The store likely will not sue or go to the cops but they can do both.

2. Matthew C Simon

Pro

2

Answered . If you are charged, contact a local attorney familiar with shoplifting. Many attorneys such as myself offer free 30 minute consultations. Good luck.

3. Yolanda Navarrete

1

Answered . Even if you pay the $150.00 civil demand it will not prevent them from filing charges against you in municipal court. You can search the archives here for multiple attorney answers on this subject. If you do get charged you should see an attorney immediately.