Got arrested (as a minor) for larceny, will i be drug tested?

Stamford, CT |

friends and i made a huge mistake in shop lifting, they're charging us all together as larceny in the 3rd degree- we all have clear records, will they drug test us? i am now 18, don't know if that makes a difference.

Like many things in the law, the answer is - it depends. The first and maybe most important question is were you 17 at the time this alleged larceny occurred? If so, you might be able to be treated as a youthful offender / juvenile, versus being prosecuted as an adult. My suggestion is to talk to a local criminal defense lawyer so they can explain the process and your options to you. There are decisions you might make (if you go forward representing yourself) that could hurt you down the road.

Good luck!

Attorney Mark D. Colson
Colson Law Firm, LLC
40 Russ Street
Hartford, CT 06106
860.263.0055 - Tel
860.838.2822 - Fax

At this point probably not, unless it is believed that the crime was in furtherance of an obvious drug addiction. The fact that you have a clean record is good. It is important for you to contact an experienced criminal defense attorney as soon as possible so as to explore all avenues open to you and the possibility of keeping this incident from turning into a permanent criminal record.

I would be happy to discuss this matter with you further if you like.

Attorney Colson's advice is correct. I would also need to know what you mean by "they" when you ask if you'll be drug tested. For example, a the court may order drug testing as a condition of release, or if you adjudicated a Youthful Offender, or are in Juvenile court, you may be ordered to undergo drug treatment/evaluation and testing as well. If you were 18 at the time of the offense you wouldn't qualify for YO. You need to secure a local COMPETENT criminal defense attorney. By the way, local to the court in which your case is seated, not local to your home.

Good Luck

Attorney Salvatore Bonanno
Law Offices of Salvatore Bonanno
67 Russ Street
Hartford, CT 06106
(860) 527-6500 Office
(860) 246-6786 Fax

Attorney Bonanno's answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should carefully consider advice from an attorney hired and who has all facts necessary to properly advise a client, which is why these answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship.