Got an unsafe driving ticket i would like to know how long it will stay on my driving record

Browns Mills, NJ |

a car was swerving all over the road i got a little scared and passed him so a cop pulled me over and issued a ticket

Unsafe driving, 39:4-97.2, is 0 points but remains on your abstract forever. If it was careless, 39:4-97, it is 2 points and you can plead it down to a 0 pointer including 97.2. But 97.2 is a $439 fine because of a mandatory $250 surcharge. Any year you go without a ticket there is a 3 point reduction from MVC. The insurance points stay on for three years then come off. But all ticket convictions stay on your abstract forever.

Points can be removed. Convictions of traffic offenses cannot. If you wish to contest the ticket you may do so by pleading not guilty and requesting a bench trial before the Municipal Court judge.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed. I am an attorney licensed to practice in the State of New Jersey. Consult a local attorney if your case arises outside the State of New Jersey. If you found this answer to be HELPFUL then you can vote that this answer was helpful. If you found this answer to be the BEST ANSWER of all those presented, then you can vote that this answer was the best answer presented. Also, please be advised that any response to any comments made by the asker do not create an attonrey client relationship.

I agree with my colleagues. I would like to point out that unsafe driving can only be used twice in five year period in order to get no points. If more than twice I believe it carries points.

Please note that by attempting to answer your question, I am not acting as your attorney. I will do nothing further to protect or preserve your interests in the absence of any additional discussion with you about this matter. Jeffrey E. Grabelle, Esq. Starr, Gern, Davison & Rubin, P.C. 105 Eisenhower Parkway Roseland, NJ 07068 Office: (973) 403-9200; Fax: (973) 226-0031 Email:

The incident remains on your abstract forever but the penalty/effects will last 5 years as my colleague notes regarding the additional penalties involved with using an unsafe operation plea the third time in a five year period.

Jim Schroeder is licensed to practice law in New Jersey and the District of Columbia. All information provided here is for educational purposes and does not create an attorney client relationship. Q&A on sites like Avvo are not designed to give specific legal advise but to educate legal consumers so they can be better prepared to work with any attorney they choose to retain. Information on this site by Mr. Schroeder is offered to that end.