Skip to main content

Got an extension for taxes and overpaid, will the IRS automatically return overpayment, or do I have to do something specific?

Richardson, TX |

For my first time filing taxes, I used TurboTax online (around 11p.m. April 14th, big mistake) and got an extension because I lost my W-2. I chose to mail in my estimated payment, but didn't realize they took the postmark on the check, and not the time I filed to consider me late. Because TurboTax doesn't let you change your payment options, I used one of the IRS's recommended processors to avoid late fees. I just finished my return, and TurboTax had no option to indicate that I had already paid, so I paid there too, just to be safe. Will the fact that I submitted two payments from different sources affect my return? And how do I get back all the extra money I paid? I ended up using Pay1040 for my estimated extension payment, and paid through TurboTax for my actual amount due.

Attorney Answers 4


You will include all of your estimated tax payments when you file your income tax return and will receive a refund of any overpayments made, whetehr from withholding or from estimated tax deposits.

These materials have been prepared by Fred E. Walker, P.C. for informational purposes only and are not legal advice, do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Fred E. Walker, P.C. or any of its attorneys or clients, and are not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up-to-date. This site is not intended to create, and access to or receipt of information included in this site does not constitute, a lawyer-client relationship. No one should act upon this information without seeking professional counsel. Although we would be pleased to communicate with you by e-mail or otherwise, do not send us information until you speak with one of our lawyers and get authorization to send that information to us. Please be aware that if you communicate with us by e-mail or otherwise in connection with a matter for which we do not already represent you, your communication may not be treated as privileged or confidential. If you communicate with us by e-mail in connection with a matter for which we already represent you, please remember that Internet e-mail is not secure and you may wish to take steps to encrypt sensitive or confidential materials before sending them on the Internet.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


You should get your refund automatically from the IRS (it will not be quick though, likely about 4-6 weeks). You can use their website to track the status of your filed return and refund. if their is a problem with the refund not coming out to you, you should call the IRS starting after 5/31/14.

Mark as helpful


Your refund should automatically be processed and returned to you. It may take a little time because of the circumstances, but it will eventually make its way back to you. If you have not received the refund of your overpayment within 4 months or so, contact the IRS and provide them with the information.

Mark as helpful


You would need to show a refund due on the tax return. You should have entered in the amount of the estimated payment on the tax return and therefore, nothing would have been due or a refund would be issued. You may want to call IRS to see if there is an over payment and if they are processing it.

This answer is based on general legal principles only and is not intended to provide specific legal advice. This answer is for informational purposes only and does not constitute the formation of a lawyer-client relationship. Any reader of this answer should not make decisions based upon in without first directly consulting with an attorney

Mark as helpful

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics