Got an extension for taxes and overpaid, will the IRS automatically return overpayment, or do I have to do something specific?

For my first time filing taxes, I used TurboTax online (around 11p.m. April 14th, big mistake) and got an extension because I lost my W-2. I chose to mail in my estimated payment, but didn't realize they took the postmark on the check, and not the time I filed to consider me late. Because TurboTax doesn't let you change your payment options, I used one of the IRS's recommended processors to avoid late fees. I just finished my return, and TurboTax had no option to indicate that I had already paid, so I paid there too, just to be safe. Will the fact that I submitted two payments from different sources affect my return? And how do I get back all the extra money I paid? I ended up using Pay1040 for my estimated extension payment, and paid through TurboTax for my actual amount due.

Richardson, TX -

Frederick E. Walker

Frederick E. Walker

Tax Lawyer - Austin, TX

You will include all of your estimated tax payments when you file your income tax return and will receive a refund of any overpayments made, whetehr from withholding or from estimated tax deposits.

Timothy M. Hughes

Timothy M. Hughes

Tax Lawyer - Palatine, IL

You should get your refund automatically from the IRS (it will not be quick though, likely about 4-6 weeks). You can use their website to track the status of your filed return and refund. if their is a problem with the refund not coming out to you, you should call the IRS starting after 5/31/14.

Neal O. Chambers

Neal O. Chambers

Tax Lawyer - Las Vegas, NV

Your refund should automatically be processed and returned to you. It may take a little time because of the circumstances, but it will eventually make its way back to you. If you have not received the refund of your overpayment within 4 months or so, contact the IRS and provide them with the information.

Robb Adam Longman

Robb Adam Longman

Tax Lawyer - Bethesda, MD

You would need to show a refund due on the tax return. You should have entered in the amount of the estimated payment on the tax return and therefore, nothing would have been due or a refund would be issued. You may want to call IRS to see if there is an over payment and if they are processing it.