Got a traffic citation, what happens now?

I was going 71 in a 50, no construction zones or other special circumstances. I had a red light ticket turn into a 2point moving violation about 18months ago. I'm curious what my best course of action would be and what sorts of fines/fees to expect. Thanks!

Castle Rock, CO -

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Criminal Defense Attorney - Parker, CO

Wow, the cop cut you no break at all. Most will do "roadside plea bargaining" and reduce it from a 6-point offense (21 over) to a 4-point offense (69 in a 50 would have done it). It sounds like you were ticketed either by Colorado State Patrol or the Douglas County Sheriff's Department. I am not sure of your age to know how the points will impact you. However, expect the DA to offer a reduction to a 4-point speeding. Possibly, though an attorney, you could get a 3-point weaving. However, reducing from a 6-point to a 4-point is the MO for the Douglas County DA's Office. Fines of about $100 along with costs of about another $100.

Rhidian David Watson Orr

Rhidian David Watson Orr

Speeding / Traffic Ticket Lawyer - Denver, CO

Mr. Leroi is absolutely correct. The standard offer is going to be to reduce the ticket down to a 4 pt speeding. Depending on your circumstances, it may be worth hiring an attorney to see if it can be reduced even further. Your age and the importance of minimizing points is going to be the deciding factor.