Got a traffic citation, what happens now?

I was going 71 in a 50, no construction zones or other special circumstances. I had a red light ticket turn into a 2point moving violation about 18months ago. I'm curious what my best course of action would be and what sorts of fines/fees to expect. Thanks!

Castle Rock, CO -

Attorney Answers (2)

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Mediation Attorney - Greenwood Village, CO

Wow, the cop cut you no break at all. Most will do "roadside plea bargaining" and reduce it from a 6-point offense (21 over) to a 4-point offense (69 in a 50 would have done it). It sounds like you were ticketed either by Colorado State Patrol or the Douglas County Sheriff's Department. I am not sure of your age to know how the points will impact you. However, expect the DA to offer a reduction to a 4-point speeding. Possibly, though an attorney, you could get a 3-point weaving. However, reducing from a 6-point to a 4-point is the MO for the Douglas County DA's Office. Fines of about $100 along with costs of about another $100.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in... more
Rhidian David Watson Orr

Rhidian David Watson Orr

Speeding / Traffic Ticket Lawyer - Denver, CO

Mr. Leroi is absolutely correct. The standard offer is going to be to reduce the ticket down to a 4 pt speeding. Depending on your circumstances, it may be worth hiring an attorney to see if it can be reduced even further. Your age and the importance of minimizing points is going to be the deciding factor.

The Orr Law Firm, L.L.C - 303-818-2448 - Is Colorado's Premier DUI and Criminal Traffic Defense Law Firm. Rhidian... more

Related Topics

Traffic tickets

A traffic ticket is issued for moving or non-moving vehicle violations. Potential consequences include fines, license penalties, traffic school, or jail.

Featured Legal Guides

Kenneth Albert Vercammen

Careless Driving

by attorney

39:4-97. A person who drives a vehicle carelessly, or without due caution and circumspection, in a manner so as to endanger, or be likely to endanger,... more

Speeding tickets

A speeding ticket is given for driving faster than the posted speed limit, including on roads with variable speed limits, which change with conditions.

Featured Legal Guides

Gregory Maurice Wagner

Speeding infractions

by attorney

What to look for in defending you speeding infraction. Citation Look at citaion to see if officer has indicated what type of speed measuring device... more

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.