Got a traffic citation, what happens now?

Castle Rock, CO |

I was going 71 in a 50, no construction zones or other special circumstances. I had a red light ticket turn into a 2point moving violation about 18months ago. I'm curious what my best course of action would be and what sorts of fines/fees to expect.

Thanks!

1. Wow, the cop cut you no break at all. Most will do "roadside plea bargaining" and reduce it from a 6-point offense (21 over) to a 4-point offense (69 in a 50 would have done it). It sounds like you were ticketed either by Colorado State Patrol or the Douglas County Sheriff's Department. I am not sure of your age to know how the points will impact you. However, expect the DA to offer a reduction to a 4-point speeding. Possibly, though an attorney, you could get a 3-point weaving. However, reducing from a 6-point to a 4-point is the MO for the Douglas County DA's Office. Fines of about $100 along with costs of about another $100.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.

2. Mr. Leroi is absolutely correct. The standard offer is going to be to reduce the ticket down to a 4 pt speeding. Depending on your circumstances, it may be worth hiring an attorney to see if it can be reduced even further. Your age and the importance of minimizing points is going to be the deciding factor.

The Orr Law Firm, L.L.C - 303-818-2448 - Is Colorado's Premier DUI and Criminal Traffic Defense Law Firm. Rhidian Orr is the senior partner and owner of the firm and focuses his practice exclusively to DUI and criminal traffic matters in the state of Colorado. His decision to answer your questions does not constitute an attorney/client relationship. The Orr Law Firm offers FREE Consultations and we encourage that you contact his firm to discuss your case in more detail.