Skip to main content

Got a ticket in PA and am out of state. Cop radared the cars going onto I80, but pulled me over because I stayed on I81.

Harrisburg, PA |

He claimed I was going 82 mph via radar, but I firmly believe he had gotten the other cars that had sped by me up the ramp to I80 off of I81S. When all the cars began up the ramp, he pulled out from behind them (he was parked before) and turned his lights on to pull me over on I81S. I want to appeal this, but am not sure if it is worth it, as I am not a local. I believe he pulled me over because I had a VT license plate and he did not want to go onto another highway to get the other drivers. He took my info and walked away before calling back to me why he pulled over while he walked away. Is this worth fighting? Should I get a lawyer? This was the first time I have ever been pulled over or gotten a ticket and do not want to lose points on my license.

Also, in VT, if the officer fails to appear in the court, then the ticket is cleared. Is this true in PA as well? How often does it occur if it is also true here?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    If you have the time, you should ask for a hearing and appear in court. The judge will mostly reduce the speed down to a non point violation.

  2. Its not really a legal question you ask, its a personal decision you gave to make. Whether its worth it or not depends on how much you are willing to spend to have no points (taking into account the probability of 'winning').

    READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I am providing educational instruction only--not legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

  3. You should request a hearing on the ticket. If the officer does not show, upon motion, the ticket can be dismissed. If the officer does show for the hearing an experienced Pennsylvania traffic ticket attorney can likely negotiate a plea down to a reduced violation. If the officer or you are not willing to plea, an experienced traffic ticket lawyer may have reason to fight the ticket on a variety of issues, but your lawyer will need to review the ticket and discuss facts and circumstances of the stop with you.

    The response provided by this attorney does NOT create an attorney - client relationship, nor have we agreed to accept this case for representation. You should consult with an experienced attorney in the area of law you have legal questions about.

Civil rights topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics