Got a speeding ticket in NC going 17 miles over the limit. Will my license be suspended?

Asked over 3 years ago - Greensboro, NC

I was charged with 82 in a 65 in Randolph County. About 6 months ago I received a speeding ticket in the state of GA. The trooper reduced the charge to going 6 over the posted speed of 65 and I simply paid the ticket. Will my license be suspended due to this current charge? The court case has been continued.

1. Matthew Alan Stockdale

Answered . An attorney may be able to get your current ticket reduced to a lesser charge. This may be a lesser speed or possibly even a non-moving violation. If this is accomplished, this should not revoke your license depending on your prior driving record. I am assuming the prior ticket you mentioned in Georgia is the only prior ticket. Contact an attorney who handles cases in Randolph County.

2. Dennis H. Sullivan Jr.

Answered . Absent a reduction in speed, this case can result in revocation of your license. Anytime you are charged with going at least 15 MPH over the speed limit AND over 55 MPH, DMV can revoke you.

3. Kurt Robert Willems

Answered . Driving over 80 mph or driving more than 15 mph over the speed limit is also classified as a Class 2 misdemeanor under NC Gen. Stat. 20-141(j1). As stated before, if convicted the court must require you to surrender your driver's license to the court.