Got a DUI for being under soma (prescribed med) 2010. Now Im in process of renewing nursing license. Will this affect renewal?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Denver, CO

I completed all my classes, pass all my test, did my community service. The bad thing, I got convicted a few months later for disturbing peace officer. I saw judge 2 months ago. I did not serve time but he did add DUI in my record. This has been the first time ever getting in trouble in my life. Ever since then, I have not getting in any trouble. I just have a fear my nursing license will be revoke due to this.

1. Rhidian David Watson Orr

4

Answered . You are required to self-report these convictions to the board within 45 days of being convicted. Have you done this? If so, you will probably need to appear before the board for a hearing. You should hire and consult with an attorney who handles these types of disciplinary hearings for people with professional licensures.

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

4

Answered . There may indeed be consequences for you. You must report your conviction to the State Board and it is liklely a hearing wil be scheduled. if you carry malpractice insurance, there is a chance your carrier will also provide counsel for you in this situation. Reach out to those folks and figure that out. If not, you will need an attorney that understands the state regularions as to nursing proffessionals and has a working knowledge of the administrative hearing process.

3. Aaron Garth Norris

3

Answered . Undoubtedly this will have some impact on DORA's decision of your renewal. The only thing that you can do is be honest on you answers. It may help to have an attorney to help you craft an appropriate response if DORA has any questions.

4. Daniel R Perlman

Pro

3

Answered . Medical licenses can be tricky when dealing with a criminal conviction, especially DUI. I recommend you contact a medical licenses attorney - or someone who holds themselves out as handling these sorts of matters. I expect you will have a hearing as a result and will need a great attorney to avoid complications.