Got a DUI, what am I going to expect at court?

Asked about 2 years ago - Oxnard, CA

So I had 3 drinks at Chills after work in the matter of 2 and a half hours. After I drove home got on the freeway in the slow lane and got cut off by a car that almost hit me, which made me panick and I swerved toward the middle barricade and spun out, my car was totaled. Nobody was involved but I was arrested for a DUI my BAC was .111

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Andrew Stephen Roberts


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Ventura is one of the toughest counties to deal with DUI 's. You will be charged- perhaps enhanced sentence because of accident. This might be avoided with the help of an attorney. You also have the DMV to deal with. Get an attorney !

    Andrew Roberts
    (805) 496-7777

  2. Mark K Rosenfeld

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should expect to be charged with a DUI and for the DUI to try and suspend your license. You should have an attorney review your case and help defend you, both in court and at the DMV. This is a very serious case with life long implications.

    Of course, every DUI case is different and you should consult an experienced DUI defense attorney in your area... more
  3. Oscar Rene Gutierrez

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You first have to worry about what will happen with the DMV, then you can worry about court.

    You'll be charged with both VC 23152(a) and VC 23152(b). The (a) count is "driving under the influence" of an alcoholic beverage, drug, or both. The (b) count is driving with a BAC of .08 or above.

    The consequences will depend on if this a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd DUI for you and if there was any injury to anyone else involved.

    Make sure to speak to counsel to see if any defenses can/may apply to your case. Don't delay!

    The information above is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and... more
  4. Scott David Levy

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Contact a local attorney to make sure you set up the DMV hearing within the 10 day period to avoid your DL being suspended.

One or more answers have been taken down.

Related Topics


The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,122 answers this week

3,494 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,122 answers this week

3,494 attorneys answering