Got 6 months probation on obstructing a highway, can i get early release?

Asked about 5 years ago - San Antonio, TX


Attorney answers (3)

  1. Paul Holt Walcutt

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . According to the Code of Criminal Procedure, you are eligible to petition the court that sentenced you for early release if you have completed one third of the probation period so long as you have completed all of the conditions of your probation (including fees, fines, court costs, community service, counseling, etc.. Since this charge comes out of a DWI arrest, many judges are uncomfortable discharging you early, especially if your probation was only 6 months. They want to see some kind of track record where you are staying out of trouble before they cut you loose.

    I'd suggest that you speak with the attorney that put you on probation to begin with (or another local criminal defense attorney). He or she will have a better idea of your judge's take on early release. Good luck.

    Disclaimer: This answer is provided as a public service and as a general response to a general question, it is not meant, and should not be relied upon as specific legal advice, nor does it create an attorney-client relationship.

  2. Edgardo Rafael Baez

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . Yes you can, but you have to meet certain conditions.

  3. Theodore W. Robinson

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . While I don't practice in your state, its been my experience that most probationary terms can be shortened by the Probation Officer, if you're doing well while on Probation, or the Court if you make an application.

    However, given the short duration of your Probation sentence, its unlikely for either of them to do it.

    Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,706 answers this week

3,481 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,706 answers this week

3,481 attorneys answering