Got 221(g) while applying for F1 visa for a US summer school as had a DUI when last in US on dependent visa.

Asked about 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

VO asked me to submit few documents related to Medical checks which were mentioned on 221(g) and kept my passport & other docs. I did that & than sent a query to related to my application. When I got their reply it stated under the heading case reason: hold case/221 G & Refusals/214B. I am shocked to see 214 B as VO did not mention anything remotely towards it during the course of interview. Does this mean even if I clear 221 g , I might not get visa under 214 b ? Also I-20 submitted to VO has expired as it was for a summer term and those dates have passed, I have received new I-20 from a University offering same course at Master's level. Should I submit my new I-20 as an additional document to the consulate or apply for fresh F1 while previous 221g is processed?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Drinking while driving is becoming quite a serious think in the US now days. Not quite as serious as it is in Canada, but serious none-the-less.

    You should:

    1. Talk to an attorney ... yes, we always say that ... for good reason
    2. Have the attorney send in updated paperwork.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  2. Dhenu Mitesh Savla


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree. Not something to take lightly!

    Dhenu Savla, Esq.
    SwagatUSA, LLC

    This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.
  3. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Administrative processing is not going to go away whether you submit a new I-20 or not. I would need to look at the record to try and come up with a clan of what, if anything, could or should be done.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  4. Mary Kathleen Neal

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . This is a very specific question, an attorney would need to really look at your paperwork and arrest record to be able to advise you on the best course of action.

    Law Office of Mary K. Neal | || 773-681-1335 This answer is... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,544 answers this week

3,157 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,544 answers this week

3,157 attorneys answering