Got 2 Dwi convictions 1990 and 1999 they treated 2nd as 1st then 2004 got another and treated as 3rd 10 yrs loss of lic. Legal?

Didn't have lawyer for 2nd time the 3rd one in 2004 they took lic. 4 10 yrs. And gave me 2nd year fines how can they skip over the 2nd and go to 3rd because they made a mistake

Toms River, NJ -

James Alexander Abate

James Alexander Abate

Criminal Defense Attorney - Westfield, NJ

That's not an illegal sentence. You are entitled to the 10 year step down only once. Courts have said that once a driver has recieved the benefit of the 10 year step down, they have no reasonable expectation of a further step down. (State v. Burroughs I believe). The uncounseled conviction may not be used for incarceration ( State v. Connoly), but that has not yet been found to apply to suspension term. However, you may be able to withdraw the plea in the second or third conviction and fight the charges using post conviction relief.

Law Offices of James A. Abate Jabatelaw.com (732) 412-2364
Mark M Cheser

Mark M Cheser

Criminal Defense Attorney - Union, NJ

Jim Abate, as usual is dead on. It is your third. How you got a 10 year step down on the second after only 9 years may be the illegal sentence. However that was your second. They did not make the 2nd a 1st, they just sentenced you as a 1st, it was still your second. Since 10 years did not pass again (there is case law you only get one step down anyway) the 3rd is a 3rd.

Jeffrey Jose Estrella

Jeffrey Jose Estrella

Criminal Defense Attorney - New York, NY

Hire a lawyer to protect your legal rights.
Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq.
Licensed Attorney and Counsellor At Law/Abogado y Licensiado
Licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut
The Estrella Law Firm, P.C.
75-20 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 170
Inside The Bulova Corporate Center
Jackson Heights, NY 11370
T. (347) 628-2391
F. (718) 672-4728
E. Estrella.Jeffrey@gmail.com
www.EstrellaLawyer.com

Michael Lawrence Doyle

Michael Lawrence Doyle

Criminal Defense Attorney - Philadelphia, PA

When you are saying "got another" I assume you mean that you have been charged with another. If that is the case, an attorney can fight this from being treated as a third. Start looking for counsel immediately.

Patrick X Amoresano

Patrick X Amoresano

Medical Malpractice Attorney - Hackensack, NJ

Need more information. Call my cell at 201-704-2280 for a free consultation.