Google refuses to comply with DMCA takedown notice, what can i do?

Asked 6 months ago - New York, NY

I sent google a DMCA takedown notice because there are copyrights that belong to me on one of their sites (user created a site using google blogger). What can I do?

Google sent me this:We encourage you to resolve any disputes directly with the individual who
posted the content. If you cannot reach an agreement and choose to pursue
legal action against the individual who posted the content, and that action
results in a judicial determination that the material is illegal or should
be removed, please send us the court order seeking removal. In cases where
the the individual who posted the content is anonymous, we may provide you
with user information pursuant to a valid third party subpoena or other
appropriate legal process against Google Inc.

1. Daniel Nathan Ballard

7

Answered . I question whether your DMCA takedown notice satisfied all of its legal requirements. IF it did, and if Google has refused to comply with your notice, then Google loses its DMCA immunity from suit by you for its alleged contributory infringement of the copyright in the material that you claim belongs to you. So, yes, you may have a basis to sue Google.

Note: If Google never removed the material from Blogger then the person who posted that material could NOT have sent Google a counternotice because he would never have known about your takedown notice [Google does not contact the alleged infringer].

Google can, and sometimes does, evaluate the merits of the takedown demand. Don't forget: The law does NOT require Google to remove the allegedly infringing content. All the law says is that IF Google chooses not to remove the content then it loses its safe harbor from being sued for contributory copyright infringement. Sometimes that's a risk worth taking -- especially when the takedown notice is plainly wrong. Such as those that demand the removal of material published lawfully under fair use or because the material is in the public domain.

You need to have your own copyright attorney review this situation. Good luck.

2. Frank A. Natoli

Pro

4

Answered . This is exactly what they are suppose to do. You send a take down request, they notify the party that posted the content and that party can send a formal response stating that your take down was inappropriate for whatever reason. Then the onus is on you to do something about it such as litigation.

I think before you do anything further, I suggest that you consult with a lawyer in private and discuss your specific situation in more detail. You can start by calling around to several for a free phone consultation, get some insights then pick the best fit to work with.

Best regards,
    Frank
    Natoli-Lapin, LLC

3. Maurice N Ross

Pro

3

Answered . My guess is that your takedown notice was defective in a material manner. Google routinely honors properly drafted take-down notices and it would be rare indeed for it to fail to take down the materials pending objection from the party that posted them. This is a common problem when take-down notices are drafted without assistance from experienced legal counsel. Your next move is to retain IP litigation counsel to assess whether it is economically worthwhile to bring claims against the person who wrongly posted the materials on-line. I seriously doubt if you have any complaint against Google.

4. Eric Edward Rothstein

1

Answered . I don't think you can take any legal action against Google. You have to pursue the person who posted the content.

5. Janet Lee Steinman

Answered . The DMCA protects the web site, not the copyright owner. However, they still should have taken down the post. Does it come up in a Google or other search engine search? You can ask the search engines to take it down but be prepared for a long battle. You should definitely contact the blogger directly and contact the FBI - your copyright has been stolen. You will need a lawyer to start any legal action against the infringer, Google, and anywhere else the material is referenced on the web. I hope this helps.

6. Bruce E. Burdick

Pro

1

Answered . I suspect either (a) you filed a defective take down notice, or (b) you conveniently neglected to mention that the material was taken down and then put back up after counternotice. Even if not, Google is well represented and not likely to be buffed into removing what it is confident is legal material. On the contrary, Google is dedicated to openness on the Internet, and is continually litigating for openness.You won't scare or beat Google on this issue. They are the 500 pound gorilla on opennessand they will make their own determination and ignore you if they think it appropriate. And, odds are Google will win if you contest the matter.