Google Corporation witholding funds from small businesses that use Google Checkout. Is there a class action pending?

San Francisco, CA |
Filed under: Class action

I have an online business that uses Paypal as the Merchant Processor Checkout system. Last Month, we transitioned to Google Checkout, confirmed customers were charged for their and we sent the product. After a couple weeks of solid sales, we attempted to login Google Checkout to process the funds. I was surprised to be redirected to a page that said, "Unable to access a Google product. If you've been redirected to this page, it means that your access to this product has been suspended because of a perceived violation of either the Google Terms of Service or product-specific Terms of Service." After 3 emails, 2 weeks past and overdue bills, all I get is a response saying, we are investigating. Other's are posting with the same issue and no action or help from Google. Suggestions? Class Act?

You can use Google to determine whether there are any class actions or other litigation pending against this company.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Much more information is needed to determine if this is a widespread problem that is suitable for a class action or whether it is an individual issue.

Legal Information is Not Legal Advice My answer provides information about the law based on the limited information provided in the questions asked and is not intended to provide legal advice or opinions, and does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. The answer to the question is for educational and informational purposes only. The law differs in each jurisdiction and may be interpreted or applied differently depending on the jurisdiction or situation. Accordingly, I highly recommend that you consult with an attorney to discuss the details of your problem so you can get legal advice tailored to your particular circumstances. I am licensed to practice law in California, New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

Many times if your subject to the class action, you will be notified. Unfortunately, this may be after a settlement and the damage is done against your business. This could be years later. Further research is required. Since your in SF, it is best to meet with an attorney specializing in business litigation to address your issues and Unfair Business Practices by Google. As a reminder, a class action settlement is usally pennies on the dollar of your own damages. Rarely are there windfalls in Class Action Settlements. They are costly with administration and attorney's fees in facilitaing a Class Action lawsuit and settlement. But, it is important to rule it out as a Class Action because it may bar you from your own claims later if a settlment is achieved. Most confuse class action with complex litigation. For example, there may be 1000 plus businesses with same, or similiar complaints, but not be class certified by the court (for many other reasons). Joining forcces is a good idea. Your own independant research is important to find out if ongoing litigation is worth pursuing Google. Sorry, we don't have an answer and Class Actions are not located on an index for one to locate easily. But, with various searches (inlcuding Google), one can find possible cases available. Good luck

This email does not create an Attorney-Client relationship.

Class action topics

Recommended articles about Class action