Good day to all! My question is related to what "districts" a lawyer(s) are admitted to..What does this mean? For example if a

Asked 5 months ago - Bronx, NY

Lawyer, has more districts admitted to than the next lawyer..What difference does it make? In other words..If it says Southern Disctrict for the listing of Joe Blow lawyer. that lives in NYC And if I live far upstate..Does this mean I can not "hire" this lawyer because he was not admitted to this district? Or do admitted districts simply mean places, courts that a lawyer has already worked in? I live in NY and when looking up lawyer(s)..Some have certain districts listed as opposed to others OR, if not more districts accepted to..Please tell me this is just all nonsense or a "basic explanation"? Thank you

1. Steven P. Kuhn

5

Answered . If you are admitted in NY then you can practice in ALL NY State Courts. If you are admitted in NY you have to seek permission to be admitted in any of the NY Federal District Courts which as said by a colleague are in four different districts. Once you are admitted in one, the rest essentially just require paperwork and a fee. If your case is in State court it does not matter which Federal District the attorney is admitted into at all.

2. David Michael Kasell

Pro

4

Answered . If you are admitted to practice in New York state court, you can be in all of the state courts of New York. But an attorney must be admitted to practice in each federal district court. In New York there are 4 of them (Northern, Southern, Eastern, Western).

It is not any indication that one lawyer is better than another.

3. Eric Edward Rothstein

3

Answered . Lawyers are admitted to practice in all State courts. The New York federal court is broken up into 4 districts. If you have a State court case it doesn't matter if the lawyer is admitted in federal court.

4. Alan James Brinkmeier

3

Answered . A lawyer is admitted into certain district courts. If you have a federal matter your attorney must be admitted into that particular USDC. There Re ways ( pro hac vice, co counsel, etc) to get this done on a particular case.