Good Afternoon. My question is regarding school loans and garnishments. Thank you.

Asked over 3 years ago - Saint Louis, MO

Good Afternoon. My brother had school loans from almost 20 years ago. They said they sent info out to make arrangements or his checks would be garnished. In the process of getting married and moving to a new address, he did not receive the information. They started garnishment of his check. That was 6 months ago. He is now starting a new job in the next week. My question is: Is there anything that can be done to make some type of arrangements so that he does not have that amount garnished? (He also makes mandatory monthly tax payments each month)

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Dorothy G Bunce


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . No way to know the answer unless your brother contacts the creditor to ask about making voluntary payments. I would not tell them about his new employer, as creditors will often lie and say that they will stop a garnishment when they never intend to do so.

    Hope this perspective helps!

  2. Mitchell Paul Goldstein

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Student loans are now subject to Income Based Repayment Programs. Contact the creditor about such a program. Never give out your bank account or job information. Any information that a creditor can use to collect from you will be.

    [I am a Virginia-licensed attorney. This communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

    I hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below. Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,905 answers this week

2,989 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,905 answers this week

2,989 attorneys answering