Skip to main content

Good afternoon, I rent in a high-rise Condo at the Jersey Shore. After the hurricane, not only was my building evacuated

Monmouth Beach, NJ |
Filed under: Landlord-tenant

And shut down, the entire town was. I was not allowed back into town for 2 weeks. I asked my landlord for a 50% reduction for the next month, and she declined. I don't feel It was an unreasonable request. Any advice or legal standing would be appreciated. Thank you!

Attorney Answers 2


If you were precluded from occupying the leased premises, you rent should be abated for that period of time. If you are unable to resolve the matter amicably with your landlord, I suggest you discuss this matter with an attorney. Good luck.

The previous information is solely for informational purposes only. If you have further questions, please contact an attorney in your area for more specific answers. Responding to your question in no way creates an attorney/client relationship, and none of the specific guarantees of privacy exist. If you have found this information helpful, kindly check the "helpful" box. NOT LEGAL ADVICE: The above information may contain an opinion which does not constitute legal advice. Unless a retainer agreement has been signed, we are not your legal representatives, and you should not rely on any opinions contained in this message.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees




Thank you Mr Gutman. Appreciate it!! Peter DeCarlo

Robert L Gutman

Robert L Gutman


You are welcome. Don't hesitate to post any additional questions. Good luck.


I disagree with counsel.. The LL did not prevent you from occupying the apt. Also your stuff was in the apt. Check your lease. Does it have an act of God clause - that the LL is not responsible for acts beyond his/her control? If so you are clearly out of luck.

Mark as helpful

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics