Skip to main content

Going to Mexico and do not have a u.s. passport....

Fort Worth, TX |

I am a u.s. citizen I have my birth certificate and will be going to Mexico with both of my parents but do not have a u.s. passport and if i get one it will be back by the time that we make our trip. What will I be asked for at the border when trying to come back to the U.S.?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. I believe you can still travel to Mexico with an original birth certificate and a government issued ID. Depending on when you are leaving, you might be able to expedite the passport though.

  2. To travel to Mexico you will need either a passport or passport card. That is, of course, if you are not looking for trouble on purpose. By the way, it is a federal misdemeanor to try and enter the USA without passport.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  3. As of 2010, you must have a U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card. They should be able to issue you a passport the same day as your appointment at your local passport office (if you have proof of your upcoming trip).

  4. You need a passport or passport card.

    Angelique Montes, Esq., Immigration Attorney in Houston, Texas. 832-378-7781. This is not legal advice and a client-attorney relationship is not created. The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case. For a consultation call (832) 378-7781.