Going to court to ask for a public defender before my arraignment date...

Bowling Green, OH |

I asked the court for a court appointed counsel because I am unable to afford one myself. The clerk said I have to come in and see the judge and ask permission to have a court appointed attorney. I have never been in trouble with the law before and don't want to go into court by myself, even to get the court appointed counsel. Do I have to do it this way? (I've already contacted the police station and they said to call the court, and this is where I stand)

You have to go to the court in order to apply for a court-appointed attorney because they need to interview you about your financial situation to see if you qualify. They usually have to have you swear to, or affirm, the information in person. this is about the only way you will get a court-appointed attorney. Regardless, they should NOT be asking you any questions about the facts of the case during this process, so your rights will be protected until you speak with the attorney.

Dan J. Weisenburger
Attorney at Law

www.OhioCrimeLawyer.com

In Bowling Green the Judge will ask some preliminary questions to make sure that you qualify for an appointed attorney. You can do this at your arraignment date, which is typical. At that time the Judge will appoint a counsel for you to contact. The Judge will give you a second initial appearance date, which may be able to be postponed.

As was stated, no facts of the case should be discussed to protect your rights.

I agree with Mr. Weisenburger and Mr. Smith.

Disclaimer: I am not offering legal advice. I am just making suggestions for starting points for when you do speak with an attorney. Do NOT rely on anything I write and contact a lawyer.