Skip to main content

Going to court for stop sign violation while having filed a formal complaint against the officer with his police department?

Monterey, CA |

A couple of months ago, I was pulled over by a police officer for allegedly failing to stop at an intersection. The officer behaved in a very unprofessional manner that is not relevant to this question. I ultimately contacted the internal affairs division of his department and filed a formal complaint. The complaint is now on his record for the rest of his career. Can I file a motion to dismiss this case with the D.A. as the officer has a motive to "get back" at me and is not likely to be impartial given my action of filing a complaint against him?

Attorney Answers 3


If I'm understanding correctly you received the citation for which you are going to court from the officer against whom you lodged a complaint for his actions/behavior in connection with his citing you for that violation. You now think what you did in lodging the complaint may somehow require the dismissal of the citation? If you are serious, the answer is No, were it otherwise everyone would do what you did.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


No - but get an attorney to fight this.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

2 lawyers agree



Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Traffic tickets topics

Recommended articles about Traffic tickets

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics