Going to court for a child support modification can I do this in NY the home state or where I live now with the child in NC?

Asked over 1 year ago - Fayetteville, NC

My ex and I have a child support order in NY. I moved to NC with my child last year. Multiple times this year my ex has stopped paying child support for months at a time. I want to take him back to court for him to pay it and hopefully get an increase because he is only paying 140 a month when he does pay it. Can i file in NC or would I have to file in NY?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Answered . I assume your ex still lives in NY. You may want to keep jurisdiction there since the require child support to be paid to age 21. May be worth going back there to enforce and modify.

    The author of this opinion is licensed only in the states of NC, SC and TN.

Related Topics

Child support arrears

Child support arrears refers to support payments that are past due. There are several available options for collecting (or repaying) unpaid child support.

Child support modification

Either parent can request modification of a child support order due to changes in circumstances, such as different income or major changes in the child's needs.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,276 answers this week

3,702 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,276 answers this week

3,702 attorneys answering