Going to court for a child support modification can I do this in NY the home state or where I live now with the child in NC?

Asked over 1 year ago - Fayetteville, NC

My ex and I have a child support order in NY. I moved to NC with my child last year. Multiple times this year my ex has stopped paying child support for months at a time. I want to take him back to court for him to pay it and hopefully get an increase because he is only paying 140 a month when he does pay it. Can i file in NC or would I have to file in NY?

1. Lloyd T. Kelso

Pro

Answered . I assume your ex still lives in NY. You may want to keep jurisdiction there since the require child support to be paid to age 21. May be worth going back there to enforce and modify.

The author of this opinion is licensed only in the states of NC, SC and TN.