GML 50H Hearing

Asked over 1 year ago - Yorktown Heights, NY

A municipality failed to schedule a 50h hearing after a notice of claim was filed. The initial notice of 50h was improperly served pursuant to 50h. The representing attorney, after I notified him of improper service, sent a letter which said that the municipality was not scheduling a hearing. I am in court next week. Is there any case law which will support a request to the court that all of the allegations in the notice of claim should be considered as factual and that since the municipality failed to schedule the 50h hearing they forfeited any right to argue the merits of the case.

1. Mark Michael Campanella

Pro

3

1

Answered . Fully agree with my colleagues. 50h hearings are optional, and a municipality's failure to conduct one is not an acknowledgment or recognition of the allegations. The municipality will either attempt to settle, or, if they don't, you will need to commence an action to preserve your rights and prosecute your claims.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

1

Answered . No. A 50-h hearing is optional. Failing to do a 50-h hearing does not mean the allegations in the Notice of Claim are deemed true.

3. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

2

Answered . No, the failure to file for a 50h gives you the right to bring suit with in the statutory allowed period. The failure to schedule cannot be deemed an admission of liability. The question indicates that you should hire counsel.

4. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

1

1

Answered . No.