Giving someone else's back account for receiving tax refund.

Asked over 1 year ago - Phoenix, AZ

While filing my tax returns I gave my cousin's bank account to receive the over paid taxes. Would that be a problem when the name on tax return (My name) does not match the direct debit account name (my cousin's name) for receiving over paid taxes? If so then how can I correct this and how long will it delay in receiving money from IRS.

1. Alicia Simone James

3

Answered . Yes. the mismatched names may be a problem. Some banks will reject the deposit because of the name issue. You can amend your tax return. But, if it is already in the process you may have to wait until the transfer has been rejected by the bank. When dealing with the IRS on these issues it is difficult to determine the time frame in which the events will occur. It just depends on how fast the bank responds and when the money is returned to the IRS for redistribution. Sometimes, the IRS will just issue a paper check when the refund is rejected.

2. Bruce Givner

1

Answered . Ms. James gave you a superb response. If the IRS sends the deposit to your cousin's bank, then terrific. If it does not, then follow her advice.

3. Senen Daniel Garcia II

Answered . Generally, the IRS does not send funds to accounts not held at least jointly by the taxpayer. If there is an error in the account number, the IRS will normally mail the check to the taxpayer in approximately 4-6 weeks. If you wish, you may attempt to contact the IRS to see if the return has been processed and if something can be done about it.