Giving Resignation Letter + Employee Handbook

Des Moines, IA |

I submitted Resignation Letter with 2-week notice yesterday to my boss and my boss was really upset about it. Today he calls me in his office and shows the Employee Handbook where it says that if Employee works in company for more than 3 years, he has to give a 30-day notice, not 14-day. My question is this: my new job has an official date of March 3rd which is two weeks later, so it needs to happen. What rae the legal consequences if I do not follow that rule? Do I have any legal defense in this area? The whole quitting part has being pretty dramatic and stressful so far, instead of wishing me good luck my bosses have been acting very angry with me. Our company had a lot of people leaving in one year so it might cause them to do stuff like this and focre their employers to stay longer :/

Generally, an employee isn't bound to any requirements about how much advance notice is to be given. Iowa is an at-will employment state, which means as a general proposition that either employer or employee can end the relationship at any time. There are exceptions, of course. For example, if your employer paid for certain training for you, you might be obligated to work for a certain period or be liable to repay some of the cost. Consult an attorney if you have any concerns along that line, but if your only concern arises from the handbook, then I don't think you are restricted. Your employer should be glad you gave 2-week's notice.

DISCLAIMER: I am an attorney licensed to practice law in the State of Iowa only and not in any other state. The response I have provided is based on the limited information stated in your question or hypothetical scenario. Quite often, a more complete understanding of the facts would lead to different advice or to a broader discussion of relevant or related considerations. The answer provided does not create an attorney-client relationship between us. You should not decide to act or refrain from acting based on my response, which is an attempt to provide general information on a legal topic as presented by you. The law is subject to frequent change and varies from state to state. Also, legal matters often involve deadlines that may significantly affect your legal rights. You should always consult with an attorney in your own state who is knowledgeable in the subject matter, and you should do so as soon as possible.

I think that your employer is incorrect. In an at-will employee state, you have the right to quit at any time and they can't force you to provide a longer notice. You didn't even need to necessarily provide the 2-week notice. You should feel free to go ahead and take the new job

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.