Giving 30 days notice through email.

Pleasanton, CA |

Does Email qualify as "written notice"? I called my land lord to give notice that I was going to be moving out, and he said just to email him it for his records. Now I have to sue him and he is saying that the email doesn't qualify as written notice and that I never properly gave written notice per our rental agreement. What would a judge say?

1. Under current California law, service by email is not recognized. Therefore, a judge would probably follow what California law provides.

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This Avvo.com posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney.

2. I fully agree with Mr. Chen. However, you will be better off in front of a judge if you have a response from him showing that he actually received your email notice.

This answer is a general interpretation of the law and is not fact specific to your case. Likewise it does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should seek an attorney for a review of your specific facts and documents. My firm is All for the Family Legal Clinic, Inc. a nonprofit public benefit corporation that charges on a sliding scale based on income and family size. For a consultation contact us 510-999-7732 or at our website www.allforthefamilylegalclinic.org